The DR Professional Baseball League
The Dominican national league is called LIDOM (La LIga Profesional de Béisbol de la Republica DOMinicana). The season starts in mid-October and runs through to mid-January.
The season is split into three stages, and culminates in a head-to-head battle for the national title. To start, the six teams play a schedule of 50 games from mid-October to end-of-December. Then, the top four teams will play another 18 games each from end-of-December to end-of-January.
Finally, the top two teams fight it out in an intense nine-match series that determines who will be the national champions.
The proud winner of the national league will represent the DR in the Caribbean Series (Serie del Caribe), against the top teams from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Venezuela and Cuba.
LIDOM has six teams:
- Tigres del Licey: Estadio Quisqueya, Santo Domingo
- Leones del Escogido: Estadio Quisqueya, Santo Domingo
- Águilas Cibaeñas: Estadio Cibao, Santiago
- Toros del Este: Estadio Francisco Micheli, La Romana
- Gigantes del Cibao: Estadio Julián Javier, San Francisco de Macorís
- Estrellas Orientales: Estadio Tetelo Vargas, San Pedro de Macorís
Tigres del Licey are the oldest team, founded in 1907. The Estrellas Orientales followed in 1911, and the Leones del Escogido came along in 1921. Sandino, later renamed Águilas Cibaeñas, was founded in 1937.
These four oldest teams are considered the founding teams of Dominican baseball, and formed the cornerstone of the sport.