Santiago is a another popular airport because of Jet Blue and for other Caribbean island flights. It’s a new modern airport. Right out the front door are your three options.
Taxi: ~ US$100 , 90 Minutes
This is the easiest and fastest way to get here. Rates are negotiatble, and you can reduce the rate by sharing the cab with other people .. just look for the surfbags or other typical clothing and ask if they are headed to Cabarete.
Public Transport: ~US$45, 3 hours
This is a bit of an adventure, as it requires a taxi to the bus terminal ($15), then a bus to Sosua ($5), then another taxi or gua gua. Be sure to check the bus schedule
Drive yourself: US $80 about 2 hours
- When leaving the Airport of Santiago turn Left immediately after paying parking fee and exiting. Turn another Left at the first road. Travel along this road… the airport runways will be on your left.
- Turn Right at the first intersection. There will be a traffic light here. Travel along this road until you see a sign for Jamao.
- Turn Left at sign for Jamao.
- Turn Right at next sign for Jamao. Travel over the mountains for at least 45 minutes.
- At the bottom of the mountains there is a T intersection (town of Sabaneta), turn Left at this intersection. Travel until you see signs for Cabarete East on your right. (about 10 minutes on this road)
For a road map of the Dominican Republic, click here